Friday, August 28, 2009

A Little Girl, by Usman Awang

A great poem about being strong in the face of tumultuous adversity


The Little Girl


Her body reminded me of

areca palm in quiet country

tall and thin

in heavy storms

broken branches fall around

but the palm stands erect

awaiting the morning sun.


So it was with this little girl

thin as areca palm

year after year meeting her father

across the barbed wire of prison

imprisoned these many years

courageously fighting oppression

steady and faithful.


This little girl surprised me

calm and smiling broadly

politely turning down my help

‘I don’t need money, uncle,

just paper and books.’


Young in age

her soul matured by experience

not everyone grows strong this way

a unique steadiness that charms.

When I expressed sympathy and sadness,

feeling sorry for her,

once again she smiled and said:

‘Don’t be sad, uncle, steady your heart,

There are many children like me in the world.’


I became quite still

She calmed me, this little girl

Pacifying waves of emotion

Forbidding pity for her bitter experiences.


Is it not shameful for a grown man,

wanting to help suffering prisoners

to receive counsel from the child of one in prison

to be brave and steady?

Ten children like this

Will destroy a purpose of a thousand prisons.


Usman Awang

Translated by Adibah Amin

(from In-Sights: Malaysian Poems, published by Maya Press, 2003)



If you read this in Facebook, the original formatting might have been lost. Do see the original posting at http://cosmicdinesh.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment