Sunday, August 9, 2009

Appreciation from Roger Phuang

Today, I bumped into Roger Phuang after a meeting at SGM's Culture Centre in Cheras. A few days ago, he sent me a message on Facebook and ask to be added as my "friend".

Today, he gave some heartfelt words of appreciation for my articles in Cosmic. He even went to look for some of the books that I have reviewed in articles. I felt really honoured and humbled these words from him.

I am a writer of meagre capabilities. I took it up late in life, and often struggle with motivating myself to write. But life as a whole is like that. We often stuggle against devilish forces that slow down our advance. It is easy to stay within a certain comfort zone and then tell ourselves, "This is how life should be," and be content with what we have got.

I have gone through several periods in my life where I have not been motivated to do much. There have been times when I considered giving up these struggles and just leave it to other people. But at the end of it, I realized that I would be letting myself down, and all those who have placed high hopes on us.

SGI President Ikeda wrote: "Why is it that sometimes our prayers seem not to be answered? This is a manifestation of the Buddha's wisdom - so that we can deepen our prayers, become stronger people. live more profound lives and secure deeper, more lasting good fortune. If our slightest prayers where answered immediately, we'd become degenerate. And we couldn't hope to build a life of great dignity and substance."

In life, if we get all that we want easily, we would not be appreciative of what we have. Only by struggling with all our might can we gain everlasting victory. All in all, it was a great weekend. Roger's words have fired me up even more to stake my life in writing.

Thanks again, Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment