Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New (not quite) from Sun Mag store

Yesterday (July 27), after watching Land of the Lost (a rather funny comedy), my friend and I went to Sunmag, which was at the lower ground floor of Cineleisure Damansara. I’ve been there once before and came away with nothing, so I didn’t have high hopes this time. But I have not bought a book for some time now, so I thought “Why not take a look?”

After a while, I thought I was gonna be disappointed. But then I found some, in fact, many interesting titles, and came away with a few. I had to stop in case I overspent and ended up boring my friend.

The books that I got were:


Centrality and Commonality: An Essay on Confucian Religiousness by Professor Tu Wei-Ming of Harvard University (published by State University of New York Press)

Prof. Tu is a world-renowned expert on Confucianism and was here in Malaysia not long ago. He gave a talk at Wisma Kebudayaan SGM (WKSGM). Too bad I couldn’t make it. Always wanted to read something on Confucianism. Who better than the expert himself to tell us. This book was originally a monograph published about 20 years ago.


The Germans and the Final Solution: Public Opinion under Nazism by David Bankier
(Blackwell Publishers)

Looks at public opinion during the Third Reich. How well were the German people
informed about Nazi atrocities, and what did they do about it?

Education at Risk by Garth Allen (published by Cassell)

It seems to be a collection of essays or papers. Some of the topics discussed: Teaching About Values in the Secondary School, Education for Modern Citizenship, Children and Political Violence and The Socially Responsible University (something for our local universities to chew on!)

Knowledge Across Cultures: A Contribution to Dialogue Among Civilizations, Ruth Hayhoe & Julia Pan, editors (published by Comparative Education Research Centre, University of Hong Kong)

A collection of essays that includes topics like First Nations and Higher Education: The Four R's - Respect, Relevance, Reciprocity, Responsibility; Indian Mathematics and the West; Chinese Influences on the Enlightenment in Europe and Inheritance, Creativity and Society. Lots of interesting topics.

I got them cheap, and in pretty good condition too.

No comments:

Post a Comment