Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kekasih (Beloved) by Usman Awang

This poem by Sasterawan Negara Usman Awang is one of the best I have ever read. It's filled with so much longing...The poem is reproduced exactly as it was found in Cempaka: An Anthology, published by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (DBP) in 1992. It may or may not adhere to the latest Bahasa Malaysia grammar rules.


Kekasih

Akan kupintal buih-buih
menjadi tali
mengikatmu

akan kuanyam gelombang-gelombang
menjadi hamparan
ranjang tidurmu

akan kutenun awan gemawan
menjadi selendang
menudungi rambutmu

akan kujahit bayu gunung
menjadi baju
pakaian malammu

akan kupetik bintang timur
menjadi keronsang
menyinari dadamu

akan kujolok bulan gerhana
menjadi lampu
menyuluhi rindu

akan kurebahkan matari
menjadi laut malammu
menghirup sakar madumu

Kekasih, hitunglah mimpi
yang menbunuh realiti
dengan syurga ilusi.

1971



Hear is the English translation found in the same book:


Beloved

I'll twine the froth of the sea
into a rope
to tie you

I'll weave the waves
into a carpet
for your bedchamber

I'll spin the clouds
into a veil
for your hair

I'll sew the mountain clouds
into a nightgown
for you

I'll pluck the star of the East
a brooch to sparkle
on your breast

I'll bring down the darkened moon
a lamp to light
my desire

I'll sink the sun
embrace your seas of night
drink your crystals of honey

My beloved how many dreams
murder reality
with illusions of heaven

1971



Such a beautiful poem, especially in the original Malay! Sadly, he and many outstanding Malay literati are slowly being forgotten. His daughter, Haslina Usman is fighting desperately to keep his legacy alive. See http://thebookaholic.blogspot.com/2009/06/daughter-keeps-fathers-work-alive.html


Usman Awang is a giant of Malaysian literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment