Thursday, March 5, 2009

Deaf man's music

During the Chinese New Year Holidays, I purchased a copy of Beethoven’s music through a friendly neighbourhood pirated CD vendor (what would we do without them?). On that one disc, you can find ALL nine of Beethoven’s symphonies, and some other works (in mp3 format)

Like many classical music maestros, Beethoven excelled at various forms of music. But he is most well-known for his symphonies, among which includes the Fifth Symphony and the Ninth Symphony (where Ode To Joy is found).

It was my first time listening to Beethoven’s complete symphonies. After listening to them (again and again), I often wandered how could a person who is completely deaf compose AND conduct music like that? Music that is powerful and uplifting. Music that is like a powerful storm wind, uprooting a tree which has deep roots. Music that shakes your very being to the core. Music like I have never heard before and will never be made again.

When he first found out he was going deaf, Beethoven contemplated suicide. But he was determined not to be defeated. “I shall seize Fate by the throat”, he declared. When describing the opening four notes of the Fifth, he said, “This is how Fate knocks at the door.”

He did not surrender to Fate. He chose not to be defeated. He chose to win.

1 comment:

  1. I remembered during one of my English class when I was in secondary school, I acquired a cutting on Beethoven's picture for some project involving great human beings. That was the same question I asked, how can a deaf person compose music. If I remembered correctly, I learnt Beethoven also took it upon himself to support his siblings and I thought he was great because of that too.

    ReplyDelete